Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Minicon & The Tournament

I've been procrastinating a lot lately. My semester got over last week and my last three months of college begin from the first week of April. Of course I'm excited and freaking out at the same time and even though I've decided not to, I probably will post about the past 3 years of my college life. Pretty cliché'd I know but still. All that later though.

A lot is going down at my place right now. And it doesn't help that I'm in the middle of some projects.

I'm being forced to strip my room off awesomeness. When your family decides to whitewash the entire house, you can't really do anything about it. The most I got outta them was that they decided to do my room last. That still gives me like a couple of more days. I'm gonna miss my comfort zone, my happy place. But more on that later.

Seriously, how can I take that down?


Before I talk about other stuff, I really have to get this outta the way first. I have to because even though I'm feeling lazy right now, my stupid OCD-blogmind is forcing me to talk about this.

Minicon. And the tournament.

Comic Addict's second annual Minicon was held in Delhi. The venue was pretty close to my place. But that is not the reason I went. There were gonna be cosplayers and events (just like at Comic-Con). And again, that is also not the main reason I attended.

It was because they were also hosting a Street Fighter X Tekken debut tournament. And I wouldn't miss it for the world.

The Event
The whole thing was pretty awesome. Saw some cool cosplayers, my favorites being The Great Saiyaman and Logan. I didn't get a chance to take any pictures but you guys can check out what went down on Comic Addict's official facebook page. They've got tons of pictures on there.

Close enough... right?


Awesome comic book artists and illustrators were also invited who gave a live demonstration of their insane talents. Like Abhishek Malsuni. If you ask me to explain his art-style, I'd say it's pretty exotic. Be sure to check out his work.

Damn


There was also a band playing. It was a pretty chilled-out experience.

Moving on, the tournament.
Federation of Gamers sponsored the tournament and being a fighting-game fan, I had already made it a point to enter. The thing is, the game, Street Fighter X Tekken ('x' is pronounced as 'cross') was released just like a week ago and I hadn't played it. I went to F.O.G a day before the tournament and tried it out, you know just to see how it plays.

If you've played games before, you'd have heard of Street Fighter. And if you've ever visited an arcade in India before, you'd know Tekken. And what do you get when you crossover both worlds? Awesomeness, that's what.

Even if you don't recognize any of the characters, it doesn't get any less epic


The tournament was based on single-elimination, best of three rounds and the names of the participants were picked out randomly for the matches. The fundamentals of the game are based around a tag-team system.

You pick up two characters and face-off against your opponent's team. Coming from a Street Fighter background, I'm not that familiar with the Tekken cast. Still I used to main King when I used to play it years ago. So I picked up Guile and King.

Guile (left) & King (right)


After my first match, I realized I knew jack shit when it came to King so I ditched him for Ibuki. Why? Because Ibuki has a special place in my heart. If you think a teenage female ninja couldn't kick ass, you'd be sooo wrong.

Yep, in my heart. Credits


Anyway, most of the players there were playing the game for the first time. So I didn't have anything to worry about. Until this one guy came forward.


Darkniks. Of course thats what he goes by on the interwebs but damn did that guy know what he was doing. He owned his opponents. And because awesome things happen to me, while setting up brackets for all the qualifiers, our names came up together which meant I had to face him next. The match was intense and awesome. And of course, it was recorded. It was my Guile & Ibuki against Darkniks' Akuma & Kazuya.

I'll just let you watch it. The video is shaky because the guy recording it was an idiot but its better than nothing. Oh and I'd like to thank him and that other really enthusiastic guy for the commentary =)

As expected, that guy OWNS me in the first round. Seriously, I couldn't do anything. I was that nervous. But the second round. Goddamn.

I finally got in, landed an insane team-move which also happens to be the most powerful raw move, called a cross-art which was a massive ego-boost btw and defeated him. The final round was intense and close and I lost. He was obviously the better player and still, I was so pumped up by the end of it that I didn't realize what was going on around me. It was pretty awesome.

Anyway, enough talk. Here's the match. Focus on the sound and commentary. It's amusing.


0:35 to 1:17 - The first round. I get owned.
1:59 - Darkniks tags in Kazuya.
2:06 to 2:28 - The commentators start talking about playing Street Fighter 3 on pc and forget that they're recording. And I tag in Ibuki.
2:29 - The best part of the match. I land a cross-art. Felt epic.
2:52 - I win the second round.
From 2:54 - I get my ass handed back to me.

Now, 10 days later, after getting used to the game, I can say that that match was nothing special. I didn't execute combos or hell I didn't even properly tag in my partner. I didn't know what I was doing. It was actually nothing compared to matches by top players. But still, playing something you love in front of a crowd who're cheering for you and against a good opponent is an experience in itself. Good game, Darkniks.

I do own the game now and I have learned a few things and if anyone wants just chill out and play with me, add me on PSN. Id - Orion991.

And now that I've finally blogged about this, I can ask my obsessed-anal-compulsive mind to shut the hell up.

No comments:

Post a Comment